Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why is There A Big Picture of the Rebbe in your Home?


Question:
Many thanks to you and your wife, for Friday night dinner, we had a great time.


I just had one question, I noticed you have a huge picture of your Rebbe, Rabbi Schneersohn, on the wall. Is this type of reverence appropriate?
_________
Answer:
I do respect the Rebbe, but not because he was superhuman, on the contrary.

Here was a man, who received up to one thousand letters a day, and answered them all.

Advised concerned parents, of unwell children; and singles, searching for life-partners; with the same love and attention, as he advised presidents and prime-ministers, on world affairs.

Had the vision, to set up a web of institutions around the globe, in order to rebuild Judaism after the war.

He promoted values and morals also, for the non-Jewish world.
He was as comfortable in the sciences, as he was in Torah wisdom, and found G-d in both.

He healed the sick with his blessings; and answered people's questions, before they even asked them.

He took the responsibility of the world on his shoulders, but had time for every individual.
______________
These are just a sample of his qualities, but above all this, why I revere him was, because he was human.

For a superhuman to achieve all the above is no big deal, they don't have to work hard to become heroes. But for a human being of flesh and blood, it is nothing short of amazing.
__________
That's why I have a picture of the Rebbe on my wall, it always reminds me, of what a human can achieve, and that I can always do more, to better the world.
___________
I only saw the Rebbe once, but it is due to his influence that I am today, an active and proud Jew.


His teachings inspired me to become a Rabbi - otherwise, who knows, I may have been a B-grade trapeze artist, or struggling plumber's assistant.

The very fact that I am writing these words, and you are reading them, is thanks to the Rebbe's teachings and advice.
_________
From the Rebbe's teachings, I have learned what G-d is; from his life, I have learnt what humans can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment