Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Uninspired


Question:

Rabbi, I am uninspired. I used to pray to G-d and study Torah, but I've lost the spark. I feel flat and empty, and I haven't done anything spiritual in ages.


What should I do, to find my soul again?
__________
Answer:

You remind me of myself. I haven't exercised in months, but I have a good excuse for my sluggishness, I am not in shape. I just don't have the energy to exercise right now; but I keep promising myself, that as soon as I am in shape, I will exercise.

Of course, it doesn't work that way. Fitness doesn't just happen to you, it takes work. The more you exercise, the more energetic you feel. But the more you neglect your body, the less motivated you feel to move it.

You can't wait for your energy level to rise, before exercising. It's the another way around, you need to force yourself to exercise, in order to raise your energy level.


By breaking your cycle of inertia, new energy will pump through your veins, and you feel alive again.
__________
What is true for the body, is true for the soul. You are presently uninspired, the only way out of spiritual inertia, is to just get moving. Walk away from your uninspired self, and do a soulful act: pray, study, care for others, etc.


It may seem forced at first, but as you smash through the barrier of lethargy, you will feel the flow of inspiration returning to your soul, and your spirit will be revived.

The secret, is to reach out of yourself. The moment you do something, not because you feel like it, but because it is right; not for yourself, but for G-d; you have stepped out of your uninspired reality.

You have transcended yourself, and you become open to your real self, your soul.
__________
Being unfit is no excuse, not to exercise, it's the best reason to exercise. And being uninspired, is no obstacle to a soul journey; just the opposite, it's the fuel that propels the journey.

_________
Inspiration is all around you, but your search for it, is getting in the way.

Stop looking for inspiration, and start to look beyond yourself and your moods. When you are empty, it is a sign, that you need to find the higher you. Just as when your gas tank gauge is on low, it is a sign that you need to refill.

I can think of nothing more inspiring, than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment