Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Services Every Week?


Question:
To be honest, I don't see why people go to services every single Shabbat. I go once or twice a year, and that seems quite enough.
__________
Answer:
I am glad to hear, that you have taken up jogging. But do you really have to jog every week? Isn't once a year enough?


Of course not, you will say. To stay fit, you have to keep a regular schedule. If you don't exercise enough, the body becomes sluggish and lazy.

People who don't exercise, may say they feel fine, as if they really don't need to exercise at all. But really, they're fooling themselves - they are so lazy, that they can't face the fact, that they're out of shape.

At the same time, if you exercise too much, you may overdo it, and injure yourself; then not only can't you exercise - you collapse! You have to challenge your body, and stretch it to its limits, but not beyond its limits.

If you hit the right balance between overdoing and under performing, then your fitness gradually improves, and in time you find, that you can do much more, and it gets much easier.
__________
The health of the soul, is similar to the health of the body. If we don't challenge ourselves spiritually, we can easily become complacent, and settle for a life of monotony and mediocrity.


We become so desensitized, that we don't even feel we are missing anything.

But if we try to change our lives too fast, and jump into spirituality, we can burn out, and fall lower than we were before.
______________
Each person has to realistically assess, what they need to do, to keep their souls in shape. Where am I getting my inspiration from? When was the last time I made internal changes, and grew as a person?

Am I pushing myself to my soul's limits, or just coasting? How can I challenge myself, to advance my spiritual fitness?
___________
Going to synagogue, is one form of spiritual exercise. It is a time to flex the muscles of the soul through: prayer, contemplation and study.


Although ultimately, just as everyone has to eat three times a day, in oder to be healty; so too, everyone needs to pray three times a day, in order to be spiritually healthy.

We were created by G-d, to continually be connected to Him. We do this, through the means He created; prayer, study, Mitzvos, ect.
________
But if one is not in shape, one must not jump into a full schedule of exercise, or one will burn out; so too spiritually, one must ease into it, so as not to burn out.

Sometimes you need a "trainer" to advise you where to start, and what to do next. I think I know, just the Rabbi you need...

No comments:

Post a Comment